Oracle EBS R12.2.8 available, but is it worth the hype?
Our highlights of Oracle’s E-Business Suite (EBS) R12.2.8
This month Oracle have released EBS R12.2.8 as their latest E-Business Suite version, which their marketing team state includes new features, statutory and regulatory updates, and enhancements for stability, performance and security. This is a cumulative update, so what this means is that as well as providing new updates for this release, it also includes updates that were originally made in previous versions.
Oracle are heavily focused on their Cloud Applications, delivering at least 1 upgrade per year, but where are the upgrades for E-Business Suite? If we take release 12, we have had versions for 12.2.3 all the way to 12.2.8. Each of these point releases are just patches providing bug fixes and small enhancements.
This is validated by looking at what is available in 12.2.8.
The key changes include:
- Improved User Experience – more HTML interfaces and mobile capabilities
- Updates for Mobile Release 8
- Oracle Financials:
- Receivables users can optimise the collection cycle and increase cash flow,
- Payables users can optimise invoice processing and cash outflow,
- Assets users can speed up period close and increase asset utilisation.
- Order Management:
- Allows flexible definition of which customer groupings can buy which items,
- Oracle Quoting allows quotes in spreadsheets to be uploaded using Web ADI.
- Enhances the non-catalogue request flow to invite suppliers to self-register,
- An improved “spot buy” capability allows privileged users to initiate certain one-time purchases without involving a buyer,
- Oracle Sourcing provides flexibility to award another bidder should a prior winning bid not work out,
- Oracle iSupplier Portal facilitates global operations by allowing a single supplier representative to operate on behalf of multiple subsidiaries,
- Contract Lifecycle Management includes enhanced flows and new standards-based APIs to improve buyer workload assignment and ease the import of historical information.
Is EBS R12.2.8 worth the hype?
When analysing these key changes, nothing stands as a great reason to upgrade to 12.2.8. Will these changes save days within a month-end cycle and provide cost savings within the business? If customers did not apply this latest version, could their business still survive? It’s clear why we see so many organisations neglecting these updates as they bring little if any ROI to their business.
Not only that, but the installation is likely to be complex for many organisations that skip upgrades. This is because the steps to apply 12.2.8 depend on what current E-Business Suite version you have. Customers on 11i must upgrade to R12 first before applying 12.2.8. No direct upgrade path exists from 12.0 to 12.2.8 either, and these customers will have to first upgrade to 12.2 before applying 12.2.8!
In our opinion, the cost to apply and test 12.2.8 does not justify the business benefits. So, if you are already happy with your current version, then why keep upgrading and spending money, when you could maintain your current version and save money for improvements that are really needed within your business. If you are waiting for Oracle to deliver the enhancement that you really need for your business, you could be waiting for years while Oracle waits for a certain number of customers requesting the same thing, before it then even contemplates delivering it.
Third-Party Support and Maintenance allows you to receive enhancements to your system in a much timelier manner, as well as saving you from the nightmare of worrying about being on the latest version available. To find out more about how 3rd party support can help your business, contact us directly or fill in our free savings calculator tool to see how much you could save.